Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Being Civilized

The government here engages in significant promotion of "civilized" behavior. Banners and placards hung around Beijing's streets, on overpasses and buildings, remind people that civilized behavior will lead to a better and more harmonious society. I wonder though, when a Beijinger reads "文明" -- civilized -- what exactly is he thinking? Does civilized mean not casually eating a corn-on-the-cob while walking down the street? Does it mean not exposing his belly on a hot day to keep cool, or picking his nose when he has an itch? I don't really know. But to me, "civilized" has come to mean everything that especially we Americans try to pretend that we're not... sweaty, smelly, horny, hungry...you name it. Humans, in fact. What is it exactly about exerting control over our most basic desires that makes us civilized? Shouldn't I be able to casually eat a corn-on-the-cob while walking down the street with my shirt up over my belly while picking my nose? Sounds absurd, right? Well, perhaps it does. The question is, why?

1 comment:

Glen said...

hah im also a very big fan of the chinese attempt at making everything 和谐