Saturday, February 25, 2012

Language Points, Part I: Bahasa Melayu

As you perhaps know from previous postings, I had the privilege of touring Malaysia during the last week of January.  I of course payed special attention to the Malaysian language while there and was thoroughly pleased with how much I was able to pick up in just a few days.  You're almost surely saying to yourself: "No surprise there, but what about me? I stink at foreign languages.  I could never learn to speak Malay."

I assure you this is not the case!  And to prove it to you, please find below my introductory lesson to the Malaysia language.  You will be shocked at how easy it is!

Lesson 1: Rahmat welcomes Greg to Kuala Lumpur

Below is a simple dialogue between Rahmat and his foreign friend Greg, who has just arrived in KL for the first time.

Rahmat:  Helo kawanku! Selamat datang ke Kuala Lumpur! Pe khabar?
Rahmat: Hello my friend! Welcome to Kuala Lumpur! How are you?

Greg: Hi Rahmat! Sihat! Awak?
Greg: Hi Rahmat! I'm fine! And you?

Rahmat: Sihat!  Wow, Greg! Bahasa Melayu awak bagus! Awak tidak ada pelat!
Rahmat: Good! Wow, Greg! Your Malay is good! You don't have an accent!

Greg: Maaf, saya tidak faham! Ia bahasa yang susah.
Greg: Sorry, I don't understand! This is a hard language.

See how easy?!  If you're having trouble, don't get discouraged!  Just move on to lesson 2.

Lesson 2: Essentials

Below are a list of essential vocabulary words and phrases that you'll need in Malaysia.  Know these cold and you can go anywhere.

Hello!  Helo!

Taxi  Teksi

Bus Ticket  Tiket Bas

Train Station  Stesen Tren

Ticket Counter  Kaunter Tiket




Platform  Platform

Lift  Lif

Telephone  Telefon

Toilet  Tandas 

Kiosk  Kiosk

 


See?! Malay is EASY!





 

 
 

1 comment:

Glen said...

its almost too easy